Tuesday, August 7, 2012

When the Thrift Shop Rice Cooker Doesn't work.

Recently I visited a little thrift shop down the street from my girlfriend's bakery. In the past I have found some great buys there. Prior to my visit I has mentioned to my girlfriend that I would really like to purchase a rice cooker. She had mentioned that cooking rice in a rice cooker really did improve the texture and taste of whole grain organic rice. She had recently purchased one for 10.00 at the local grocery store. As I browsed in the thrift shop, I spotted a little rice cooker all for the amazing price of 7.00.What a bargain, at least that is what I thought at the time.

That night I decided to treat my family to a culinary delight using the new thrift shop rice cooker. To my surprise the rice cooker failed to perform, the controls would only work on warm and the rice was left uncooked and soaking in water.To my disappointment I was forced to return to the old fashion way of cooking rice on the stove.

What I thought was a bargain really wasn't a bargain at all.The expression, "You get what you pay for" came to my mind.I also I thought about what God tells us in John 14:6, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No One comes to the father except through me."We often try to find short cuts in life. My thrift shop rice cooker was no bargain, life without Christ is no bargain either, we are often left unfulfilled and soaking in sin.When it came to saving I spent more than I saved. When we live a life without Christ we are shopping at the thrift shop and we might end up with a broken rice cooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment