Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Pizza Boy Looked Distressed

It had been an ordinary day, spent doing laundry, cleaning the house and taking my son to the orthodontist; nothing out of the ordinary. I had managed to get all but two loads of laundry completed,this was a major accomplishment for my day.The day before my son and I were having a discussion about service.I told him how blessed his father would be if he came home and the lawn had been mowed, his room was cleaned and the trash had been taken out all without having to be told to do these things.His answer to this question was to simply agree, however there wasn't a lot of movement toward performing any of those tasks without prompting.

Later that same day we were on our way to bible study, as we stopped at a red light we looked over to see a young pizza delivery boy. As both of our cars sat waiting for the light to change I noticed something about the continence of the young pizza delivery boy, he seemed distressed and upset, as though he was having a very rough day. As we drove to our destination I began to thing about Paul's words in Colossians 3:17, "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Paul tells us this again in Colossians 3:23-24, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward."

Later that evening God reminded me of what he had shared with me earlier that day, he wants us to take pleasure in doing those ordinary things like laundry, cleaning and delivering pizza.Our real reward will not come from what man sees, but what God sees and knows. I sat thinking about the young pizza boy, I prayed that he would find joy in his next pizza delivery; I sat looking at the folded loads of laundry washed earlier that day. These ordinary things took on a new meaning.If God gives me tomorrow, I will finish the rest of the laundry, it will be the best laundry that I have ever completed, because I will be washing for the joy of the Lord!


No comments:

Post a Comment