Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Ribbons, Bobbles and Bows

Recently I was at Michael's arts and crafts store. I was there along with many other people trying to spot out the next great bargain on Christmas bobbles, bows and ribbons all in order to celebrate the birth of the most high and risen savior.

As I stood in line with my finds in front of me there was a woman and two small children. Both children looked to be under the age of ten. As they placed their items on the counter to be purchased they counted out the money that they had apparently earned for their purchases.

As each item was rung up I could see the expression on their faces. They seemed a little overwhelmed by the fact that they would have to use a great deal of their money in order to buy all the items that they desired.

As I stood watching this scene I remembered the extra coupon that I had acquired earlier that week on a previous purchase. Just as I
remembered the coupon I also remembered the scriptures that I had read many times that vividly described the crucifixion of Christ.

Beaten, and bruised for my sins Christ had given over his very life for me.
I walked up to the woman and handed her the coupon, she thanked me and told the children to thank me also.

There was a tiny sense of joy in knowing that I saved the children a few dollars. Again, my mind went back to the scriptures that depicted Christ's
crucification, I was reminded that I
was saved by His grace, mercy and sacrifice.

Our bobble, bows and ribbons can be counted as lost when we begin to think about the sacrifice of Christ; I thought about the momentary happiness of giving away the coupon and it reminded me of this.

When Jesus sees us in all our ribbons and bows of salvation he receives that same joy, except its eternal, it will never be put in a box and placed in the closet after the holiday is over, like we do our fancy wares of Christmas.

Today I celebrate in high style without the ribbons, bobbles and bows a Christ that is risen. Today I celebrate by remembering the blood, piercing pain and sacrifice of Christ, that's the fanciest part of Christmas, and I don't need a coupon it was all given to me for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment