Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Box of Red Marbles

Today I had my first book signing for a book that I wrote about teaching special needs students. The book signing was held in one of my favorite bookstores. It's a quaint, historic building where there's always a diverse group of people who meet for poetry
reading and a great cup of chai.

Today I meet one of those unique, diverse individuals. As I sat greeting my friends and thanking them for their support I met a man named Phillip.
Phillip boldly introduced himself to me and at once told me that he had
Aspergers. I told him that I was glad to meet him.
He asked me several questions about my book and I shared with him about the students that I taught that also had
Aspergers. He shared with me about
some of the social issues that he faces as an adult with a disability.
I thanked him for sharing the most
Intimate details of his daily life with me.

Phillip stayed for most of the time during the book signing. He would mingle amongst the other people who were there for other events, however he would eventually find his way back to my table. We continued to talk about writing and the social aspects that come along with being an individual with Aspergers.

Phillip even stayed and helped me to fold the table cloth that I used for my
book display. He was an kind, gentle soul who had a servant's spirit.

Meeting Phillip today reminded me what so many of us have forgotten.
In the box of red marbles that one purple marble makes the whole box special.
Phillip you make the box of red marbles special, keep being the best purple marble you can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment