Monday, May 13, 2013

The Little Dead Deer on the Side of the Road



One morning I was taking my son and his friend to school and on each side of the road I saw something that caused me to think about God's ability to keep us close to Him when we stay in his word.

On the left side of the road there were two dead possums. These little possums were laying close to each other as if to symbolically say, "We have stuck together to the very end, together we have seen our last."  On the right side of the road there lay a young deer, he was alone.  There was no fellow comrades laying on the side of the road with him, his symbolic epitaph reads, "I have left the heard, here I lie alone in my last days."
The little deer had chosen to leave his heard, he pulled away from his hedge of protection.  He went his own way into the arms of danger, he had no brother to stand in the gap with him or to lead him back to the woods where he would be safe from on going traffic.  The little possums met with an unfortunate fate, but together they stuck it out together.  Isn't this what we often do when God does everything to get us to stay under His hedge of protection.  When we stray and go our own way we often endanger ourselves as well as others who might be easily led astray.  I want to stay under God's hedge of protection, there is peace in knowing that we have Jehovah-Rohi our shepherd who leads us in green pastures and makes us lie down.

I know what your thinking, that's a little deep for a bunch of road kill, but that's what's so profound about this, God uses anything and everything to keep our minds stayed on him.  By the time I reached my house I was fully praising God and thanking Him for the dead possums and the lonely  little deer, because in these mundane and a little gross things he kept my mind stayed on Him and in Him I have peace that goes beyond my understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment