Thursday, June 9, 2016

A New Season

     Yesterday was my son's last day of school for this school year. He had finished his last final and needed a ride home from school.  The high school that he attends was the school that I taught at before I retired four years ago.  As I got into my car and drove up to the school a sudden flash of memories began to flood my memory. I realized that I was no longer in the loop, or part of the gang when it came down to what was actually happening inside of the school.  Of course, I still am quite aware of all the school activities and events that occur during the school year, but there was one major thing that had changed that I was finally able and willing to admit, I would no longer have that misty feeling that I used to get when the students in my class would finish their finals, lay them down on my desk, and leave my classroom headed off to the start of whatever adventures that the summer had in store for them.

     This time of the year was always a difficult time for me, many of the students I had during my years as a teacher were kids that struggled academically, emotionally and socially.  The relationships that I had with them were special and I will always hold them close to my heart. When the last final was graded, I would be free to start my own summer adventures.  When my own kids were small, I spent all summer long engaging them in a variety of activities, swimming, children's theater, concerts in the park, you name it we did it.  The last four years has been so different, I no longer spend my summers mapping out the daily activities for my kids. They were making their own plans, finding their own way in the world.  They no longer needed their mother to plan their summer activities.  

     I sat in the parking lot waiting for my son, when he finally emerged from the building, I got out of the driver's seat and allowed him to drive home.  I know what you are thinking, that's nothing out of the ordinary, however, for me it was.  It was the realization that I had reached a new season in my life.  I knew that eventually it would come, but I was not expecting it to feel so daunting. The season where the roles in your life change their formation.  There were no more finals to grade, no teary good byes from my students, no classroom to pack up for the summer and no itineraries to plan for my own children.

     In Ecclesiastes 3:1 it says there is a time for everything, a season for every activity under the heavens. This new season had come for me, I had a choice, I could either embrace change or struggle with the realization that things would never be what they were in the past.  Change is good.  Change brings on opportunities for growth, renewal and creativity. 

     As we drove out of the school parking lot, my son in the driver's seat and me in the passenger's seat another thought came to mind, it was time to dance! If you continue to read Ecclesiastes 3 verse 4 tells us that there is a time to mourn and a time to dance.  Lets learn to embrace change, change is good!  Also remember in Jeremiah 29:11 that God has plans to prosper us and not bring us harm.  If we are not willing to embrace change we will never see what is in store for us just beyond the horizon.

    If God's word has not convinced you that change is good, then perhaps the words of one of my favorite children's authors, Shel Silverstein will, "Anything can happen child, anything can be!"   That's all for now, places to go, people to see and dancing to do!


     



  

    


    




    





No comments:

Post a Comment